Friday, March 6, 2009

It's been a year since I left Korea...

It's been a year since I left Korea. It feels good that I'm back but I do miss my lifestyle and sometimes, living there. I reminiscence about the times I road my bicycle along the bike path to and from the hogwan for five months. On both sides of the long stretch of highway, rice, flowers, tomatoes (?) and other crops grew and overflowed from the rich Korean soil. Non-exotic bugs would hit me in the face on their way home from a day's hunting; late nights riding back from Queenshead pub, my stomach full of their homebrew Ale, with no street lamps illuminating the bike path, using cars' headlights to roughly guide me. It was an adventure. My dad calls me a "gypsy" because I love traveling especially riding my cheap ass $80 Korean Lespo 21 speed mountain bike made by Sam Chully! What a heavy piece of crap that was but you could ride the shit out of it and not feel bad about getting it full of dents and dings.

Last weekend, the West Los Angeles Cycling club http://www.meetup.com/wlacycling had a Sunday ride from Marina Del Rey called Lagoon Park. I used google maps to look for directions and on Saturday, road out to the spot only to be sadly disappointed by the lack of shoulder, glass and rock on the road and the hideous curves that hide motor vehicles. I didn't go. You need a car to get to that spot; and what's the point of riding a bike if you need to take your car there in the first place? I was hoping it was accessible like so many of my bike riding days in Korea. Oh, well.

4 comments:

kelly said...

Wow, incredible that a year has gone by! We are so happy that you are here, with your smiling face! Keep up the great work.

Palmer said...

Thank you Kelly! It has been an incredible year. Keep up your hard work on your latest internet endeavor!

kelly said...

umm, it's been 10 days since your last post! help!

Anonymous said...

it's been a year since you left Korea, but 16 days since your last post...