Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My whinny nephew Daniel

The other day I sent my nephew Daniel some birthday toys through the trusty ole US mail. He got them in time and played with them and discovered problems with each item.

When I spoke to him on his birthday, he gave me the litany of woes for each item. The first toy, a silicon based Squishy Pig Head, which I bought in Korea, is to be thrown against smooth surfaces. You throw it against a desk, for example, and wham! The pig head becomes flat and then pops up again. He obviously went animal on it, and it now leaks water.

The second gift, a handmade wooden spin top, which you can see a picture of it being made on this blog, needed vast assembly of the rope to the pully. It required a grown up to put it together. The third gift, a lego-like racer car from Korea, did not assembly fully because the plastic driver's head did not sit correctly. Oh, well. I thought they were fun gifts that he would enjoy.

My mom bought him an expensive Lego set and sent it to him via US mail. She purchased the last number in a special Lego series, which my nephew is currently at number five. He hopes to collect all eight. When I spoke to him, he sounded disappointed because she did not go in the order of the series. He was perturbed that she skipped ahead a few numbers.

I guess I am disappointed in his attitude towards his birthday gifts. Maybe this is the mark of a spoiled kid. He's hard to read over the phone and I haven't seen him in a few years either. My brother says he was happy with his gifts but my observations deny this.

2 comments:

kelly said...

Sorry to hear that your nephew was unhappy with his birthday presents. It's really hard to buy toys for kids you haven't seen in a while, isn't it? I wouldn't even know what to buy a 10 year old boy. We have a niece and a nephew that are about 10 and 12, and I just give them Amazon gift certificates. You really went the extra mile by purchasing actual toys (and in Korea) schlepping them back to the States and mailing them from here! Kudos to you!

Palmer said...

It's tough to shop for them critters, just like u said Kelly. One never knows what they will like even though their parent has prepped me! thanks for your post. maybe when these critters grow up they won't be spoiled adults. I hope so. it's great that we get them stuff and that we think of them.