Tuesday, July 22, 2008

All Apologies...

The other day, blog reader, I had an entry about a dude who bought my Korean made steel string guitar. He was out of it every time I called to confirm or give him directions to Seryu Train Station here in the Gok (AKA Gok-Pan). Maybe he was sick. If you read the blog entry, he wanted me to hand him the guitar over the exit rail so he wouldn't pay for the train fare even though it costs .80 cents. I thought he was going to run away with my guitar and kindly asked him to exit so he could sit down and play the instrument. I sold the guitar. Anyways, a day after the sale, he sent this email to me (a direct, unedited quote):

"Hey, sorry I was pretty angry because I had walked around a new station that wasn't on my map and got stuck there for an hour. I had to backtrack to the station on my map and switch trains, while my map said it was all one line that I could sit on. Anyway, thanks for the guitar!"

How about that?! An explanation of his behavior that day which is an apology too. When was the last time you got one of these? If you're like most people, it's pretty rare, I think. Wouldn't it be great if people could do this often?

In Korea many friends settle silly disputes by saying: Paper, Scissors, Rock. In Korean it's "Gao-ee, Bow-ee, Bow." They do the best out of three. The person who wins, gets his/her way or whatever the bet or dispute is about. My students also do this game but a lot of them cheat by changing their hand shapes in order to win. In any case, it would be cool if world conflicts could be resolved this way, peacefully. Wouldn't that be fun?

"Honey, I want to see the film 'Wanted'," he says to his baby.

"No, I want to see 'Sex in the City'," she replies.

"Oh, no! Not that! You made me sit through a whole season and I'm not doing that again..."

"I sat through two seasons of X files..."

"Yes, I know but you have a mad crush on Agent Fox Mulder."

"No, YOU have a crush on Agent Scully! By the way, what kind of name is that?"

"Let's decide the movie," he says, "Well, do Paper, Scissors, Rock. Ready?"

He lost.

Moral of this blog entry: When you get a sincere apology, take it, show the world, publish it, share it with family and friends. However, when you lose a bet to your SO (significant other), grin and bear it! :)

No comments: