Thursday, July 10, 2008

Palmer is leaving Korea

I met with the director and owner of my hogwan (pronounced "hog won") a couple of weeks ago and my official last day is August 10, 2008. If they hire a new teacher sooner than that, I can go home before then. If they don't hire anyone by August 10, I can go home on August 10 and not pay for the airfare and visa fees the owner shelled out to get Palmer's ass in Korea! I've been here less than six months so I am liable for those fees. The owner said I don't need to pay him back. Cool, no problem.

In case you're wondering, I am not interested in teaching in Korea again and if I did want to, I would need to leave the country, go back home and renew my work visa, get finger printed again and an apostille showing that I am not a criminal, all at my cost. Besides, Yanne and I are officially in love and we are planning our future in Los Angeles. Though Taipei might still be in the picture for us at a later date...who knows. I have applied to jobs in Los Angeles. I have a lot that look interesting that fit my skill set. My resume is updated, my references are in order and my cover letters are customized for each position.

I feel okay about my stay in Korea ending. I have saved some money and learned a few things about my self and my teaching abilities and Korean culture. Although the director thinks my "rough housing" games are a big no-no, he and the assistant director, who have observed my classes, and read my lesson plans, think that my teaching is actually good. I actually got a referral letter from the Director which says my teaching is excellent. Yesterday, he sent a follow up email, out of his Directorial kindness, saying my teaching and classes have improved.

Anyway, he got rid of me and now this hogwan is down four teachers--in August four are leaving! I don't think I'm not a good match for teaching (some spoiled and bratty) kindergarten and elementary kids. I think they're funny and warm but I'd rather teach middle, high school or adults. Maybe it's my patience or maybe the kids are just impossible. Hmm. Sometimes I think I just needed a long "vacation," away from everything.

I was at a cross roads in my life and needed some major changes to propel me forward, to shake me loose and get a newer perspective. I love to travel and maybe it was too long a time away from the road? I have Yanne again and I feel very happy and good as we plan a future out with so many possibilities. I appreciate her in every way, her smarts, her beauty, and just her! It's been difficult for her and me, planning and talking the long distance, the continents and admire her for exploring and finding out her feelings about us and what we are planning for the future.

For the past three months we've been in constant communication and have begun a life affirming, love process, if you will (it's corny, I know. And there is beautiful violin music playing to accompany this love we have!). We love each other. We've known each other for years and I think we've grown as people and we will grow more as a couple. We will be together soon and that matters the most!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have mixed feelings about your return to the States because I really enjoyed reading about your adventures in Korea. Lynn

Palmer said...

Hi Lynn,

You're funny! Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

im sad u r leaving. it wont be the same without u. it will be better.
:) im jealous

Palmer said...

The whole school will be better once I leave. :) I am just a dark cloud at this school!! hehehe

Although none of the teachers hang out with Big T, she'll be happier I'm gone. I won't make fun or complain about her bad students--most of them dropped anyway...

The Director and Owner will be happier, no Palmer complaints. Some of the other teachers who live in their own petty world of colleague in-fighting and envy won't even notice I'm gone until my replacement shows up in August and then they'll say: "What was the name of that guy who sat near Jay?" Forgettabout it!!

Then there's Bernard, who has taught me the basics of basketball, my team mate of many of game versus the tough opponents we have played against so many times here in Gok-pan, he'll be sad I'm gone for like two minutes.

Then they'll be "blame Palmer" syndrome for the first few weeks. My class can't spell the word "blue?" Let's blame Palmer. Then some of the staff will jump on the Palmer band wagon saying stupid stuff about me for like one day and then they'll go on to other stupid stuff they like to talk about.