Monday, June 30, 2008

Corn and sweet pickles on my Italian food

Hello. It's me....again. This time I'm angry! Koreans have defiled my beloved Italian food with corn and pickles. Ugh! What's wrong with these people? I'm from New York, pizza is in my soul. This makes me an expert. I'm half Italian too. Like great race horses bred for their genetics, I am bred to know good Italian food! And I am a pizza purist. No pineapple on my pizza! Who thought of that anyway? In the 1980s when Apple computer was fighting the evil empires of IBM and MicroSoft, Apple engineers would be hired for their computer prowess and their like of pineapple pizza. Believe it! I could never have worked there! If I was on a desert island, pizza would be my food choice--made by a big fat, Italian guy named Manucuso, with big sweat stains on his wife beater tee-shirt sayin in broken English: "Wats a madder you!?" Anyway, I am ranting, again.

Here in Korea, they ruin all Italian food by adding bits of yellow corn to the red sauce. I'm totally disgusted; I think I can dismiss a few thousands years of their culture in one full sweep by their decimation of my pizza! I want to start a campaign against corn on pizza. What is it with Americans like me anyway? Always starting some "campaign?"

I've been to several pizza places here in Suwon that serve "Italian" food. They add yellow corn to the sauce or sprinkle it on pizza. It's not a topping, by the way. I don't order it like that. It comes with all Italian sauces built in like those small, triangular smoker's windows found in 1970 Lincoln Continentals IV. Remember those, baby? When you were riding around with your pimp on the east side! :) Palmer is gettin crazy!

Adding yellow corn to Italian food is like the green pepper in your high school cafeteria soup; a hodgepodge of left over vegetables that were dumped into the soup of the day, every day. They don't know what to do with all deez extra veggies, so they figure to make a "soup" and add some broth. That's disgusting too. Might as well eat compost!

Many countries try to imitate european cuisine. The flavors, the spices, the preparation. Korea, like other countries, fuse their food with flavors of Italy and such. They obviously missed out on the Italian lesson of pizza making and food combining. So did my high school cafeteria but they had more sense not to modify pizza in such a way.

Another ugly element is serving Italian food with sweet dill pickles on the side. For example, I went to an "Italian" restuarant and ordered pasta with red sauce. How can you go wrong with dhat? You know what I mean? An Italian restuarant that fails in their red sauce and basic pasta (Pasta Marinara), should not be allowed to continue. Before the entre the waitress brought out sweet pickles, cut, as a side. What is going on??!! I smiled and said thank you. The food came, it sucked. What can I do? This is not America; you can't send the food back. Koreans will loose "face." Believe me, I tried that in 1998 when I found steel wool in my food. My Korean friend argued with the owner to get a new dish made without the steel wool! Ouch!

Suwon, Korea has a failing grade in Italian food. They serve it with yellow corn and sweet pickles. Wait until you get home and eat like a Manucuso!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

probably because you've only been to one korean italian restaurant. Shouldnt' generalize my people like that, I've been to many italian restaurants that were absolutely amazing. If you tried them you would probably retract your last blog. toodles. :)

Palmer said...

Always trying to stir up stuff, eh Mr. Bernard AKA Anonymous! i bet you love corn on everything!

Anonymous said...

Come on you guys, I thought you both good friends! Last month, both of you went for ice cream together, right at McD?

Anyhow that corn sauce on any Italian food is really YUCK!! Ruin the whole point of a greatn taste meal!!

Finally I have time to catch up Palmer's blog. Lots going on over Suwon heh? I hope to read more fun stuff rather than the unfair director story. I think they - the administrators of your school made a BIG mistake letting you go.

Palmer said...

We ("Anonymous Number One") like McD ice cream. And it's 40 cents!

I agree w/ "Anonymous Number Two" (number two again??) that corn on Italian food is really yuck!

The school is well, you know, the school. It all comes down to who is in management. right?

Palmer said...

I hope you enjoy my blog, Anonymous Number two! Thanks for your comments!

Unknown said...

You crack me up! I will say a prayer for you before digging into my next non-corn, non-Hawaiian pizza.

Palmer said...

Thanks Lfoxx for your comment. Please discourage others from ordering pineapple on their pizzas. I would appreciate that! :)