Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Probation, parole are they the same in Korea?

Some of you may know that the school placed me on probation or is it parole? Parole is after you serve in prison which may be an apt analogy working for this language institute the past month or two. Its management is not very good and if you go by the other teacher's low morale, they are waiting for their sentences to end and released for home.

I am on probation. I will meet with the owner, directors and a Seoul administrator this Friday or possibly earlier to decide my fate at the unnamed aforementioned language institute of Suwon, South Korea.

Last week the director didn't like my kids playing games because the danger that they could hurt themselves. When two classes of 15 students combine, they get loud and a little rowdy. Andrew, a student of mine and a girl from Bernard's class (he's another teacher) were play wrestling, kicking each other during a combined class play time. Bernard and I sometimes combine classes so the kids can play games. Andrew and his crush were lightly kicking each other and having fun when the director walked in and threw a fit. White men never look good angry; they look like tomatoes. So, I am on probation. Or is it parole? Bernard did not get reprimanded. We were playing games in his classroom with his students and his girl student was one of the culprits that got me busted for "rough housing." Later that week the director apologized to Bernard for raising his voice and disrupting his class. That was nice of him!

The owner is looking to place me in another school who needs a teacher. I may transfer to another school or be asked to leave or knowing the history of this institute, get a slap on the wrist. If I am not fired, I may just give my resignation notice. It takes a lot of resources to secure a new teacher especially in Suwon, not the most popular city of Korea. I think management will not secure me another job which will mean that I stay, give notice to leave or they fire me, sending me back to Los Angeles, a little earlier than planned.

On a related item, I went to Taipei last weekend to meet with Yanne and her mom. Yanne and I are now planning our lives together and we may live in Korea or Taiwan or even China. If I am still in Korea, she may come and live with me or both of us jet to Taipei or Beijing to teach, learn the language and be together for a wonderful adventure. She is thinking of all options as she is in a career transition. I can't tell you how excited I am that she is in my life!! It's unbelievable!! She is the most beautiful woman in the world!!

I've posted my resume for jobs in Taipei. Stay tuned.

No comments: