Friday, October 31, 2008

Peaceful, easy feeling

Living in Suwon, South Korea you get the feeling of relative safety. It's a great feeling that allows you a lifestyle to ride your bike late at night, go walking with a friend or to ponder universal problems as you walk alone in the calm of Korean night or the hot and crowded afternoon streets near HomePlus.

In Suwon you see children walking home late from their study sessions or classes; ten year old kids with no sense of fear. It's wonderful. You can feel it in your gut, this sense of ease and calm. There are bad people out there but statistically, their numbers are small, like lottery size winnings small. Yes, there are drunk drivers and dark hidden alleys where taxi drivers rocket through but I'm talking about just a peaceful, easy feeling.

In Los Angeles, I live less than a five minute walk to the basket ball courts in a public park. When I walk there I can feel a tension and stress with a scent of danger. Am I imagining this? I tried to explain this feeling but the words were not adequate. What is the litmus test to discover if your city is peaceful and easy then? For me it is riding a bicycle late at night and soaking in the sights and sounds of the neighborhood. I used to do that in Playa del Rey but not in Culver City. It's not a peaceful, easy feeling. The only way to know this feeling is to live in another country and make the comparison, blog readers. I hope that some of you will do this one day.

No comments: