Friday, April 4, 2008

The Giant Cranes of Korea

Here in Suwon and probably most of Korea, there lies a crane on every corner. Not the kind for building those rectangular apartas (apartments) you see every where, but the toy kind. In the states we have these cranes at amusement parks or at Dolore's Diner in West LA (when ordering their curly fries, make sure they are cooked well), both containing stuff animals. Here in Korea however, these yellow colored monsters are money making machines!

The cranes are about .20 cents per play (200 won). They must weigh 900 pounds otherwise people would try to walk away with the machine to get to the contents. Inside the crane, there are 20 or 30 items including mp3 players, cigarette lighters, alcohol (see picture of little Whiskey Crane bottles) and my favorite, and not scene yet, live lobsters inside its own small tank! The goal is to use the mechanical fingers of the crane and lift the heavy weighted package into the basket in order to earn the prize. It’s difficult and when you’re drunk, as most crane players are, then winning is pure luck. These machines are strategically located near a bar on every block. In fact, there are at least four or five bars on every block! When playing the Happy Crane or the Polar Crane, etc the mechanical fingers always loose its grip just before you’re ready to drop the prize into the basket. Shaking the giant machine won’t work either. It’s too heavy and low to the ground and you’re too drunk anyway. You can easily drop about $5 on these Vegas style slot machines.

I haven’t found one with a live lobster yet. I’m still looking!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, You're a very good observant.

Asian (mostly Chinese, Korean, Japanese)believes that Cranes is a symbol of longevity and auspiciousness. In ancient China the crane was regarded as having a long life span and one Chinese legend says that a immortal rode a crane to heaven. The crane also represents a lasting soaring spirit, health, and happiness.

You have nice pictures taken, who is sexy Lisa aka Ldawg? Your girlfriend? ;-)

Yanne

Palmer said...

Hi Yanne,
Thanks for the interesting history of the Crane. I had no idea at all. If I win a prize from the Giant Crane machines here, will I have lasting happiness? :) Joking of course.

Lisa or Ldawg is a coworker and not my girlfriend. She, Bdawg and I play basketball sometimes and have meals together after work.

Anonymous said...

Palmer,

Thanks for the clarification, and I can't wait to see you in Taiwan after you've been dribbling basketball, you must've lost some weight. That's very good and healthy activity. Even you're away from your home country, I'm glad that you still take care of yourself.

Also, thank you for my first gift from you today, what a surprise and very thoughtful of you!

~Yanne

Palmer said...

Hi Yanne,

I am so happy you liked your gift! :)

I am about 183lbs. I like playing b-ball and the other day I played a local kid of 20 years of age. He was shooting hoops in the park. I was walking by and challenged him. He was really good and won 14 to 0. It was fun. He said he had to go and when I left, he was still shooting hoops by himself! :)

Today I bought a bicycle. Now I will only ride to work unless the weather is not good. It will take about 15-20 minutes to/from work on my bike; I mostly ride on the sidewalk...

I am totally looking fwd to seeing you in May!

Palmer said...

After Yanne posted her comment on the history of cranes, I realized today, when I left my apt building, that etched in the front door glass was a crane scene! I've lived in the building for two months and just noticed the cranes. Today, when I road my bike in the rice fields that surround my area, there were live cranes grazing. I took pictures and will post later. :)