Saturday, April 5, 2008

Seedy Bars and Sandy Bike Paths of Suwon

Can't you say that the greatness of a country can be summarized by its highs and lows? In other words, how high it aspires and how low it plummets? In my travels in Suwon, I manage to find both. The Lows are sometimes more interesting and definitely easier to spot especially the Korean Host Cafes. The Highs are inspiring.

My travels are anthropological and sociological and finding interesting places is, well, interesting to me. The other night I found a few host bars in the Home Plus area in Yeongtong-dong. Home Plus is the Korean version of Wal-Mart/Target only the Home Pluses always have cool food courts and a friendlier staff.

My friend Inuk told me that all Koreans know where these "cafes" are. They are legitimate businesses. They serve alcohol, expensive food and are staffed by pretty hosts. In the States, you need to know someone who knows where they are. Not here. It's an open society and this gives you the feeling of safety; kinda of odd if you think about it. In the States, the seedy bars are located in bad neighborhoods. Here, they are located on quiet, non-descript streets of commercial and residential real estate. Anyway, I go in to the "Ace Cafe" or whatever it was called and I immediately get the stink eye from the host. So, I leave. I'm not wanted there and I'm not particularly interested in hanging out. I'm just interested in seeing the seedy life of what Suwon has to offer.

The other day, on my day off, when most of yas were sitting at your desks wishing you were me (yeah, right), I was riding my bicycle. I found an amazing 10-mile long stretch of bike path along side a man-made park that follows the (I'll put it's name in later) river. This path winds north and south through Suwon. Along the way are nicely manicured gardens, large rocks to sit on, about a dozen basketball half-courts with the rope still intact (find that in L.A., dawg), bridges and people walking, riding and talking along the river. It was so peaceful. I sat along the river and listened to the water rush down over the rocks spilling out. It was like I was back in my therapist office waiting for my appointment, listening to the fake waterfall machine that produces the faux water sound! It was great! Suwon city spent a lot of money carving out the bike paths and such making this a very livable city. Ah, the Highs are so good! I will go back again soon!

No comments: