Monday, August 4, 2008

My last week at this Canadian Maple Leaf Hogwan

Well, the school in its management brilliance has asked me to work two days before I leave next week. It seems that the two new teachers, a married couple, don't arrive until August 17th and the Director needs to figure out how to cover or combine different level classes with three teachers leaving and one new teacher here. I told him that I will work next Monday (possibly) and Tuesday (definitely) and leave Suwon on Wednesday (you bet I will) for Los Angelez. Reminds me of that Arlo Guthrie song: "Coming into Los Angeleez, bringin in a couple of keys...don't touch my bag, if you please, Mr. Customs man..." Yes, blog reader I am going to smuggle in two kilos of kim chi through customs. Watch me, now!

Of course I get paid for my time working. I am helping them out because they need me and I feel okay about doing that. Plus, I get to see my favorite class one last time. Oh, those stinky little kids! By helping the school out, I am also helping Bernard and others who may be asked to work more hours and since I was planning on spending money in Seoul for two days shopping, I figure I could save some cash, earn some cash and help out my fellow prisoners!

All the teachers and teacher assistants, who are Korean, filled out these anonymous surveys two months ago and sent them to HQ. This hogwan is a Canadian franchise, BTW. Did they ever read the complaints and comments about management? I talked to a lot of teachers here and they unloaded on paper a host of things that should make HQ raise their eyebrows and take some action!

No comments: