Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Free stuff and the Yakuza

On Sunday Yanne and I saw the Pacino/DeNiro flop called "Righteous Kill." It was about two tired looking actors as detectives Turk and Rooster. They were investigating murders and to keep the plot moving, had gratuitous sex between a young cop who likes it rough and an old cop who does it rough. Boring. Staid. I could imagine how DeNiro and Paciano were signing their contracts thinking how easy money this film would be and not leave New York City to do it! It would of been more interesting to have their stunt doubles acting instead! It could of been a funny parody because both of them haven't done anything worth their acting huevos in a long, long time. I'm not an ageist by any means. Our culture is obsessed and driven by youth and looking young. These giants of cinema have had their successful run and should retire from doing tired scripts, cliche moral dilemmas at the requisite Catholic church and allow their stunt doubles to take unemployment insurance. Afterward, we snook into see "Tropic Thunder" a much better movie and a funny spoof to boot! What a great performance by Robert Downey--his best since Chaplin. I loved him in that other film with Val Kilmer but in "Tropic Thunder" he really was terrific playing an Australian actor who gets surgery to "blacken" his skin in order to play a black American soldier during the Vietnam War. He was in great form! Before I didn't think much of Ben Stiller but I changed my mind: his direction was great. I think it was the script which had Ethan Cohen's help. I liked how the film mocked Hollywood and insecure actors while also talking about acting techniques in a factious way.

Yanne and I enjoyed the free film and why not? We were being opportunists and took advantage of a flaw in AMC cinemas lax security. I don't feel bad paying $11.50 for two films! I felt mischievous and juvenile sneaking into the other film. Is it dishonest? Yes. Is it stealing? Yes. But why don't I care? Am I so disconnected with my actions having financial repercussions to huge corporations? Is it like stealing Post-Its from your job? Hmm.

I saw a trick done in a movie years ago by the Japanese mob or yakuza. A bunch of them would dine out at four or five star restaurants, bring live roaches and other bugs and place them in the food or on the table after their meal for the restaurant manager to see. It worked: their meals were gratis or free. Yesterday, after our two films, Yanne and I dined at the Cheesecake Factory. We were finishing our salad when a small roach ran across our table.I captured the small bugger by placing my tea cup over him. While he was enclosed in his tomb me and Yanne a little worried about our Chinese Chicken salad! Was it in the food? I hope not! I asked a random waiter to have manager walk over as soon as possible. I showed him our "visitor" and told him we were about to order a piece of tiarmusu cheesecake before our "friend" decided to talk a walk on our table. The manager wrapped up the roach in my napkin and took my tea cup away. We got a free meal! The Yakuza trick works! Of course, i didn't bring the roach to the restaurant but it would work elsewhere. Yanne thinks that's dishonest...she's such a party pooper! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah..I might be a party pooper, but not the Yakuza way! Let me clear the fact that I was the one who found the little bug..not a roach. That little dead creator might get offended to be called roach. =) Also, I told the manager that we would enjoy a slice of tiramisu cheesecake before the little creature came, but we wanted it to had to go instead. Yes, blogger we got a free complete meal plus the desert YES! =)

Palmer said...

Hi my cute little anonymous one:
Thanks for your comment! Yes, you saw the little bug which looked like a roach to me but not all bugs are cockroaches, right? :) Yes, you wanted some cheesecake b4 the little visitor showed up but it was nice getting a free meal from them and we had no negative side effects from the visitor. I had some Chinese Chicken Salad gas on the way home but I didn't gas you out in the car! I'm a good BF! :)

Anonymous said...

Ah...Ya! surely you're a good one so far ..so fine =)

kelly said...

Oy! Matt - a little too much information (about the gas)... ;)

Kenny and I look forward to getting together with you and Yanne soon!