Friday, March 7, 2008

Mac Berstein's Peanut Butter and Volume v. Square Area

Since I am teaching kids, I am in a teacher frame-of-mind. If I am not mistaken, Volume is the amount of space found inside an object. Say a jar of Mac Bernstein's famous peanut butter contains 45,000 ground peanuts inside a 16 ounce jar. If we spread it out on a piece of Trader Joes Whole Wheat Protein Bread, then that would be nice. Since I don't have either here, then forgettabout it! Any way, where was I? Square Area is the measurement of a three-sided object. Which brings me to Suwon City, South Korea, home of a 1.5 million people, 10,000 or so ex-pats, a Family Mart convenience store on every corner and every third person sick with some sort of cold or flu.

I lived in Los Angeles, a sprawled-out smog bowl of 4 million people, about 1 million of them "illegal" and the rest actors sitting in 8 million cars and trucks on their way to an audition or something equally as important. Each winter some bug goes around getting everyone sick. I don't see them of course because they are driving the hundreds of miles of freeways. Here, however, "I see sick people" coughing, hacking up discolored mucus, the thick kind that sticks to sidewalks like a jelly fish, sneezing and wearing those warm and polite masks on their faces. A good idea to contain your germs. As a teacher, I have built my immune system up to be super strong. I use 12 ounces of hand sanitizer during each class and enclose myself in a plastic wrap, teaching from a remote location via a virtual private network camera.

To the point: it seems that every third person is sick but my if my reasoning is correct, what I am seeing is the view from inside the large jar of peanut butter with 45,000 others! creating a volume versus square area perspective. If Suwon is a jar of Mac Bernstein's, Inc Peanut Butter, then we have a large amount of peanuts or people crammed into an enclosed area. Los Angeles, with its urban sprawl, has three times the amount of people distributed over 60 square miles. They might have the same amount of people with the flu but we don't see them because of the larger area! We will not see them on the movie screen either.

No comments: