Thursday, March 13, 2008

Suwon dust storm vis a vis China

In Suwon, South Korea every spring there comes the dust storm. (You must say this in a low, breathy Darth Vader like voice, if you must). Anyway, it smells like burning leaves. In some parts of the U.S., people will burn their leaves in their back yards. I don't know why they do this really. It just causes air pollution. This dust storm smells just like that. Just think: the Chinese were so nice to share their burning leaf smell with the Koreans. I think world peace is now a possibility. It's a pleasant smell but heavy and after an hour you want to escape but it stays in your lungs, clothes and apartment like I did when I lived with my brother and sister-in-law for a couple of months in 1992.

I bought a Korean style face mask for 3,000 (Won). Many people wear face masks when they are sick or when the pollutant level is higher than normal. I think that's a wonderful and generous, forward thinking gesture; why share your germs? My own mask has a nice yet light menthol smell just like a Marlboro menthol cigarette. I don't look cool in this mask but it will filter out the dust and pollutants hopefully. When I wear it though, I am Palmer, incognito, in my greenish blue mask. I walk around the city, feeling comfortable in its soft and pillowy appearance, my face hidden, just another man in a mask walking down the street, a common man, a man of the people. Where was I?

I didn't sleep well last night. My colleague who also lives in the same building but above me, does calisthenics or lifts weights at 4:30am. Actually, I believe she is an insomniac and is OCD because as I lay awake this morning, I was mentally diagramming the six foot by five foot space she has to maneuver between her bed and sofa wondering how she could possibly make so much noise for an hour. She could be one of those people, who some of us know, who must adjust and re-adjust furniture, books and any thing out of order. All that running about this morning was just adjusting, in microns, the edges of books and paper on her living room table.

I don't want to ask people to do be quiet or change their behavior. They have a right to live their life in their own unique and special way. (yeah, right) But it interfered with my sleep and I need a good seven hours! Forgettabout! I asked her nicely to take it easy up there and not drop those weights. I'll keep you updated or not...

This post was boring. Maybe I'll delete it. There's no profanity. What's wrong with me? Have I gone soft like tofu in Korea? By the way I think tofu is not good for Caucasian men because it contains estrogen which could cause man boobs. Who wants that? Do you want your boobs to be bigger than your girls? Of course not. What's wrong with you? You want your girl's boobs to be full and beautiful, right? So give her the tofu! Pile it on and she'll appreciate that you are a sensitive and caring boy friend because of your self-less interest in her health and well-being, meanwhile, we all know your "evil" plan. hehehe. I've done a lot of research on this, well, the caveat is: I've always felt that this is the truth--Tofu interferes with mens' testosterone secretion--the stuff that makes us manly and want to practice warfare on people who drive jalopy's and use Soviet era machine guns in the middle east. Who wants peace and love anyway? What would happen if American's gesture towards peace was like Koreans who wear the chic looking face mask? Would this generosity filter out our "need" to inflict people with "our way of life" in order to protect our "interests" and stop those who are envious of our "freedoms?"

1 comment:

kelly said...

I really liked this post, it was not boring in the least. I learned that tofu contains estrogen. However, it seems that it does not help Asian women to grow larger breasts (sorry ladies). I also liked your rant at the end about American imperialism.