Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mon-Du (Korean dumpling)

Two days ago one of my colleagues here in Suwon mentioned a new Mon Du restaurant she tried and liked. I went in and had their beef mon-du, a dumpling with beef inside. It was great! Delicious. A soft pastry like shell with garlicly beef and cooked cabbage in side. One order of ten dumplings was about $3.00USD but that was not enough to fill me up, so I ordered another ten. Within thirty minutes, I ate 17 dumplings and had two helpings of soup. What a pig. I could have finished the three dumplings but I took them home in a cute, paper to-go box for later.

The next day I was on the toilet for like an hour! A two to one ratio of time spent eating and time spent shitting. It was a Mon-Du Dumping feast. My legs fell asleep and used half a roll of toilet paper. Try wiping that, sonny! I am out of toilet paper and shit-out-of luck because the stores in this country sell only mega-size packaged rolls of t.p., you know, the kind you get from your not so-local-super mega-Costco store where they sell a small package of 36 rolls. This is Korea, man! I barely have enough storage for 5 rolls of t.p. What the fuck?! Tomorrow I will stop by the school and steal a roll of t.p.

I am on a Mon-du roll. This morning I went back to the Mon-Du place and had only one order of beef Mon-du. I got to take it easy, you see. Later, I went to Suwon Station, where the Akeyoung Dept store is. Inside, in the basement level, is the train station and 20 restaurants and a very cool and clean supermarket, the kind that Koreans should gloat about and tease us Americans. This GS market is amazing and they sell, yes, Mon-Du. But this Mon-Du is the big, round cow pattie kind with lots of meat inside for only $2.00USD. I took it easy and had just had one with my Dunkin Donuts coffee. Jesus, I hope I'm okay tomorrow morning. I will ask my neighbor for some t.p. just in case.

No comments: